Sunday, March 13, 2011

Crockpot Split Pea Soup

I love split pea soup - but my husband likes it with ham - and I don't eat ham. This recipe is easy enough, and cheap enough, that I was willing to play -- to see if using turkey pastrami instead of ham would work... and it did. Hooray!


Crockpot Split Pea Soup (adapted from “A Year of Slow Cooking”)


http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/03/crockpot-split-pea-soup-recipe.html


Note: CPG is “Crock Pot Gal” -- the person who posted the recipe. The I’s refer to me.


-1 -package of turkey bacon (or a ham hock) (I used just over a half pound of turkey pastrami)

--16oz package of dried split peas

--1/2 yellow onion, diced

--1 potato, peeled and diced

--1 cup diced carrot

--4 cups vegetable broth (I used 4 cups water with a T. of chicken bouillon)

--1 cup water (you’ll ned a total of 6 cups of water at least, says me)

--1 t salt (omit if you used the chicken bouillon)

--1/2 t pepper



The Directions.


--dump the peas, diced vegetables, broth, and water into the crockpot

--add the salt and pepper

--if you are using a ham hock, add that now. If using turkey bacon or pastrami, add half --- saving the other half for later use


Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high for 4-6. CPG cooked this for 6 hours on high. Add more water if it gets too thick.


When cooked through, if you went with the ham hock, scrape off any remaining meat and discard the bone. If you went with the turkey bacon, carefully remove the strips and discard them.


Use an immersible hand blender to make your soup a bit more creamy and to have an even consistency. (I left as is)


Cook the remaining pieces of turkey bacon (or pastrami) on the stove and crumble over the top, or add any additional ham you still have in your fridge.


I/me says best the next day, after the fried bits have added their flavor to the pot. Taste and adjust seasonings. Very very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment